Smithsonian Collections Blog

Highlighting the hidden treasures from over 2 million collections

Collections Search Center

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Link Love: Amateur Film of Mexico in the Archives of American Art

In August 2012, Megan McShea, the audiovisual archivist for the Archives of American Art, posted about the amateur films of artists Stefan Hirsch and Elsa Rogo shot in Mexico between 1935 and 1941 that had just been preserved with a grant from the National Film Preservation Foundation.  For this story see http://blog.aaa.si.edu/2012/08/hirsch-rogo-home-movies.html


A followup blog post by Elena Jackson Albarrán, assistant professor of History and Latin American, Latino/a and Caribbean Studies at Miami University of Ohio, is a rare essay based on actual experience with using amateur film in an academic setting: http://blog.aaa.si.edu/2012/12/mexico-on-the-move-a-return-from-timelessness.html. Dr. Albarrán brings the knowledge of Mexican history and art to the reading of this film and, hence, finds what could otherwise be missed without that contextualization.


Reproduction of Schoolhouse Vista, a tempera by Efren Villalobos, age 11, 1932?. 
Stefan Hirsch and Elsa Rogo papers, Archives of American Art, Smithsonian Institution.
- Pamela Wintle, Human Studies Film Archives


1 comment:

  1. Hey there I am so thrilled I found your blog, I really found you by accident,
    while I was researching on Askjeeve for something else, Anyways I am here
    now and would just like to say kudos for a remarkable post and a all
    round exciting blog (I also love the theme/design), I don't have time to go through it all at the minute but I have saved it and also added your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read much more, Please do keep up the great job.

    my blog post: Haarausfall

    ReplyDelete