After much discussion about what my project would actually be, Rachael Woody, Archivist at the Freer|Sackler Archives, assigned me to mark up two finding aids using EAD, or Encoded Archival Description, a short history of which can be found here. What this means is I took the existing finding aids, Word documents, and placed them into XML, or Extensible Markup Language. This allows for the finding aids to be uploaded to the Freer|Sackler Archives website, making them readily available to researchers. Having learned about accessibility in my courses at Wayne State University, I knew how helpful my project was going to be for the Archives. The finding aids themselves provide researchers the information they need about the collection as a whole, as well as a box and folder listing to gain some sense of what is really available in the Freer|Sackler Archives’ stacks for their usage.
|John Calvn Ferguson, portrait|
The two finding aids I was assigned could not have been more different from each other! The first finding aid conversion to be completed was that of the John Calvin Ferguson Family Papers. The collection is relatively small, and contains correspondence, photographs, and newspaper clippings, among other things. The box list contained 5 boxes, which I then loaded into NoteTab Pro to complete the marking up of the various elements. Each box and folder has its own element tag, and within the folder, names, dates and places receive their own element tags, taken from the EAD tag library. Each of the tags themselves allows the internet browser to interpret them and it thus results in the webpage you see. Overall, marking up the John Calvin Ferguson Family Papers finding aid went smoothly. Once I got a handle on using EAD, I was done before I knew it and ready to take on the second finding aid.
|Myron Bement Smith and his wife, Katharine in Persia.|