|Wiley House, probably early 1960s|
The Robert C. Wiley house was designed by Philip Johnson in 1952, one of thirty mid-century modern homes that were built in the village at that time. Johnson designed the Wiley House as a cantilevered glass box sitting atop a fieldstone base looking out over a circular swimming pool and an older barn. The garden has yet to be attributed—although both designers Friede Stege and James Fanning are possibilities. Sparse and minimal, the landscaping is representative of the low-maintenance philosophy espoused by the California landscape architect Thomas Church in the 1950s.
|Celanese House, c.1960|
“Though it may seem avant-garde, the house faces up to problems that are with us now and will grow in the future . . . the lattice that surrounds this house creates a private world. Here, windows can be large and wide because they look out onto the landscaped courts, not upon the neighbors’ windows or lot.”
|Ford House, early 1960s|
Archives of American Gardens